PICT9406ac copy
After the Civil War ended, the union rebuilt and added lights along the South Carolina coast. The Haig Point Lighthouse on northern end of Daufuskie Island was needed to guide vessels into Calibogue Sound and to facilitate safe passage between Port Royal Harbor and the Savannah River. Congress appropriated funds in 1871 and was completed in 1873. It was decomissioned and sold in 1925. After years of neglect it was restored and re-lit in 1986 and is currently used as a guest house. A major effort is underway to build a rock seawall (seen in the front of the picture) to stop the shore erosion which threatens the structure.

Index      Previous      Next

Previous photo Next photo Thumbnail page
Click for original image

DATE: 8/2/12 7:42 AM   |   CAMERA: KONICA MINOLTA (MAXXUM 5D)   |   RESOLUTION: 2000 x 2800   |   FLASH: Flash did not fire, auto   |   FOCUS DISTANCE:   |   EXPOSURE TIME: 1/500s   |   SHUTTER SPEED:   |   METERING MODE: Multi-segment   |   APERTURE: 5.6   |   FOCAL LENGTH: 200.0mm   |  

Download original image (0.71 MB)  

Generated by Jalbum 8.12   Design inspired by Exhibit Engine
Index      Previous      Next